Saturday, January 17, 2009

on bellybuttons...

I have one. Most people do. I never thought mine was all that fancy until one of my friends on the swim team long ago thought mine looked funny. I guess mine is a half-innie/half-outie, so it looks like a little deep "C" shaped wrinkle with a tiny nob. When I was little I would always try to turn it inside out (I will save some decency in this post and NOT share a photo of my stretched out skin and odd bellybutton).

Bellybuttons are hereditary and also based on when you were born. I can't remember exactly, but if you were born a premie then you have a higher likelihood of getting one style or another. I wasn't a premie, but AnnaMae looks like she is getting my bellybutton. Luke definately got daddy's (actually Luke IS daddy, it's his split personality reincarnated in child form).

My bellybutton usually doesn't play a big part of my life. I'm sure the majority of you feel the same way. HOWEVER, when I get preggers my bellybutton gets stretched all out of whack. I mean, that's a lot of stretching, and my poor skin doesn't stretch nicely. So when my belly returns to pre-baby state the bellybutton suffers.

Which brings me to today's point:

After Luke was born and my belly went back to normal I kept getting bellybutton infections. Weird, huh? I guess warmth and moisture get trapped in my little stretched wrinkle and then I get an infection. They quickly go away, just a little dab of neosporin does the trick. Now I have a minor one again. Nothing serious, but I had always thought that when a baby is born, it's the baby that's supposed to get the bellybutton infections, not the mom. Oh well, one of the unspoken joys of being a mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment