Tuesday, May 5, 2009

13.1 miles and two blisters later...

I did it!

I completed the Eugene (Half) Marathon on Sunday. And I beat last year's time by 16 minutes!

Sunday morning, 6:15 am I went down to Hayward Field and lined up with the other 6,000 people who were taking place in the marathon or half-marathon. It was steadily drizzling and about 40ยบ or so outside. There were people from 45 states and 13 different countries at the race. And little local girl Marianne who was going to live up to her last name and be a Walker.

There were about 3,000 people doing the half-marathon. 2,000 girls / 1,000 guys, so I was in good company with lots of other women. You can check out the course map and other stats at www.eugenemarathon.com but basically, we went up towards the base of Hendricks park, down and around to 24th, up Amazon quite a ways, then back down Amazon, past Hayward again, across Franklin Blvd, down by the river, across the footbridge, over behind Autzen, and back across the river to the Millrace Art Studios and across Franklin again to finish at Hayward.

13.1 wet, long, walked miles.

At about mile 5 I developed a blister at the base of my big-toe on the left foot. A few miles later I got a matching blister on my right foot. By the end of the race my feet were throbbing and walking around the house on Sunday was very uncomfortable. Did I mention that I had picked up a cold from the kids? I was coughing and blowing my nose the whole race. Having it drizzle rain for 10 miles also didn't help. Needless to say I felt pretty miserable by the end (except for the free cookies they were passing out at the finish station).

But I finished, and I beat my time last year by 16 minutes. Final time: 3 hrs, 30 min, and 36 seconds. Not bad (for walking). The average half-marathon time was 2 hrs, 26 minutes. Those are people who jog a good portion of it, which I didn't. I walked. I jogged a few short bursts, but that was more to use different muscles than to actually try to get somewhere. Still, 16 minutes is pretty good to shave off my final time.

My goal next year is actually jog some of it and finish somewhere between 2hrs, 50 min and 3 hrs. 10 minutes. Since I was walking, I ended up finishing about 150 from the last place which is pretty pathetic, especially when I compared it with my age bracket I finished 307 out of 315. Ouch. Next year I'll have buddies to run with. NO one from work ran with me and no one from church came either. WHERE DID YOU ALL GO??? Back in January there were a lot of people willing to do the race and they all disappeared come May. Since no one was there I don't have any photos of myself in running gear. boo hoo!

Monday I was stiff and sore all day. I forgot how much my lower-back hurts after a workout like that. I needed to keep moving so I wouldn't stiffen up entirely. My blisters felt much better, but my co-workers would laugh at me every time I walked around at work. We got a new person in the front office to help out. She ran the full marathon in 4 hrs and 20 minutes or something. Gaaak! It must be nice to have so much time to devote to training your body to take that kind of cruel and un-wholesome punishment.

Today I'm much better. Still a little stiff, but I think that should work out and not hurt tomorrow. My cold is getting better as well. Still, it was a good race and I look forward to next year (too bad these races are always on Sundays- I feel bad skipping Church). I'll be ready next year, with good training and prepared to jog a bit, not just walk. You who are going to come next year already know who you are...no backing out :)

3 comments:

  1. Way to go that is so impressive. Someday I would like to train to do a marathon. My mom did the Portland one with my brother in law and loved it. My sister ran the half marathon on Sunday also. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I weren't pregnant and mostly couch-bound, you know I would have been there. I will be next year. Celina is saying she is gonna run it next year too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job!!! Lance said you were movin' slow on Sunday when he stopped by for Friends of Scouting... hope you are bouncing back okay.
    I had members of Team Stanley (broski-in-law and sister-in-law) who ran the marathon ~ crazy people :o)

    ReplyDelete