Thursday, May 21, 2009

On snails...and possums


When you live in Oregon you have to deal with snails. This is a pile of them I found on my compost heap on sunday morning. This photo only shows a small portion of the seething mass I found.

I was really tempted to throw salt on them to keep them from eating my garden but that seemed too cruel and heartless to do just before church.

When I was in high school I had a paper route for 3 years. What I hated was on damp mornings, in the dark, I'd be walking along and hear a squishy crunch, and then I'd have a gooey mess stuck to my shoe for a block or two. gross!

When we were little, my brother Dan and I had to weed the yard. Whenever we'd find snails we'd chuck them in the road and see how long it would take cars to hit them. Any car that missed, we'd call them a drunk driver. :)

Now I just don't like 'em. They eat my baby sunflowers, strawberries, and potatoes.

Right now I can hear a snuffing/shuffling coming from my compost heap downstairs. I'm not worried because I know it's just our local opossum eating his fill (I'd try to get you a photo but the lighting is bad). I used to think they were disgusting creatures that you would only see dead along the road. Dan once shot one with his BB gun along our back fence during a sleep-over and actually killed it. Then he chucked it over the fence into the old lady's yard behind us. Now I know that possums are not disgusting compared to Nutria (or Nutria-Rat as people in Louisiana call them). Now there's a critter that's gross...

No comments:

Post a Comment