Sunday, May 31, 2009

Honesty, part 2 - recompense

The conclusion to the strawberry story from earlier this week...

So I let Brian know EXACTLY what I thought about the little girl who stole the strawberries, and how much I don't want her playing with Luke anymore because she is a bad influence (I've never really liked her and I think she knows it).

Brian encountered the girl's older sister and asked if they really did have a garden "No". So Brian told her what her little sister had done. This was probably Friday, maybe Saturday morning.

Yesterday I was so busy that I never went out during daylight to check my precious strawberries. After church I went out to see if any more were red.Part of the trouble with the strawberries out there (besides theft) is that they get too much sunlight before my sunflowers grow tall and the berries dehydrate before they ripen, so I really won't get many berries from those plants anyways.

I go out there and someone had taken a bunch of store-bought berries and dumped them right on top of my plants. They looked like they would have been great strawberries if they hadn't been sitting in the hot sun for a day or two. Now they are wilted husks of berries.

Our conclusion is that the older sister told the parents. The parents made the younger girl apologize by bringing me replacement berries. Either we weren't home or she was too scared to leave them, so she just dumped them on top of my plants thinking I would find them. I found them, just too late for them to be a replacement.

However, I'm going to take that gesture as it was intended and accept her apology.

I hope the little girl learned her lesson, I'm just bummed that so many fine strawberries gave their life over this little experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment